2 soldiers killed, 4 wounded in rebel attack (Philippines)
Communist insurgents killed two soldiers and wounded four others in an ambush Sunday in Bislig town, Surigao del Sur province, in the southern Philippines, officials said. Officials said New People's Army (NPA) rebels have detonated a landmine, killing the soldiers. Four others were injured in the attack, they said.
The soldiers were on a truck on their way to their post in a nearby village when the rebels detonated the explosive. "Troops were able to fight back and killed a still undetermined number of gunmen," said Lieutenant Colonel Francisco Simbajon, spokesman for the Army's 4th Infantry Division.
At least a dozen gunmen were involved in the ambush, he said.
"It was really a treacherous attack. They used landmine in the ambush which is banned around the world," Simbajon said.
The ambush came after soldiers wounded at least 10 rebels in a clash in Surigao del Sur's Hinatuan town on Friday.
The rebels attacked an army post in the town that sparked a two-hour running gun battle, the military said.
Two weeks ago, insurgents and soldiers also clashed in Singalat village in the town of Calamba in Misamis Occidental, leaving a still undetermined number of gunmen dead and wounded.
The NPA has vowed to intensify their attacks on government targets after Manila suspended safety and immunity guarantee for rebel negotiators following the collapse of the peace talks.
They also killed five soldiers and three civilians in an ambush earlier this month in Sapang Dalaga town in Misamis Occidental Province.
The government suspended the Joint Agreement on Safety and Immunity Guarantee after the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) and its political arm, the National Democratic Front (NDF), refused to return from the peace negotiations.
The rebels are demanding that Manila ask the United States and the European Union to strike them off from their lists of foreign terror organizations.
The CPP, NDF and the NPA were blacklisted on Manila's prodding.
Peace negotiations between the government and the rebel group have been suspended since August last year, following the NDF pullout due to their continued inclusion in the terror lists. (Sun.Star Zamboanga/Sunnex)
Von: 31 October 2005, http://www.sunstar.com.ph by Al Jacinto