Bomb hits Afghan intelligence official's convoy, three killed (AFGHANISTAN)


KABUL: A bomb struck a convoy carrying a top Afghan intelligence official, missing him but killing three men, while three policemen died in separate attacks yesterday in the south of the country, officials said. Meanwhile, two policemen were killed and three others wounded when their vehicle hit a landmine close to the southern city of Kandahar, said Daud Ahmadi, spokesman for the provincial governor.


(10.06.2006)

Elsewhere, the US-led coalition said more than 45 Taliban had been killed over the past week, as an upsurge in violence across Afghanistan showed no signs of abating.

A convoy carrying Kabul intelligence chief Humayoon Aini was struck by a bomb just outside the capital late Friday, Kabul police chief Amanullah Gozar said.

Aini escaped unharmed but three of his fellow travellers, including a tribal chief, were killed in the blast which appeared to have been detonated by remote control, he said.

Two other men, including a district intelligence director, were wounded, Gozar said.

He did not say who might have been behind the attack but similar ones have been blamed on Taliban fighters who have been waging an insurgency against the government since they were removed from power in late 2001.

The interior ministry said the bomb was "recently planted by unknown militants" to target government officials, labelling the attackers as the "enemies of Afghanistan" - a phrase generally used to describe the Taliban.

Meanwhile, two policemen were killed and three others wounded when their vehicle hit a landmine close to the southern city of Kandahar, said Daud Ahmadi, spokesman for the provincial governor.

The policemen were escorting a district police chief to Kandahar when the bomb was detonated by remote control, said Ahmadi, who also blamed the "enemies of Afghanistan" for the attack.

Meanwhile four suspected Taliban and a policeman were killed following an attack by dozens of militants against a police checkpost in the western province of Farah near the Iranian border late Friday, the interior ministry said.

"Taliban retreated after reinforcements arrived to help fellow-policemen," ministry spokesman Yousuf Stanizai said.

In neighboring Herat, unknown men launched two rockets over Shindand airport but there were no casualties, provincial officials said.

In a separate incident, two Taliban members were killed and two others captured on Friday in fighting that erupted after the rebels ambushed an Afghan army patrol in Zabul province, General Rahmatullah Raufi said.

The US-led coalition announced that more than 40 insurgents were killed in operations conducted by Afghan and coalition forces in the south in the past week.

Around 30 were killed in Zabul's Arghandab district on Monday when an Afghan and Canadian patrol clashed with about 60 insurgents, while another 14 were killed in Uruzgan province on Thursday, the coalition said.

In a joint operation elsewhere in Uruzgan, Afghan and coalition forces scuppered a planned ambush with an attack that sent the militants fleeing into a defensive stronghold.

Warplanes were called in and strafed the stronghold with 30mm cannon fire. The troops besieged the area, killing four more men, the statement said.

There are more than 20,000 troops in the US-led coalition helping Afghan forces hunt down militants loyal to the Taliban movement, which ruled Afghanistan between 1996 and 2001, when they were toppled in a US-led invasion. ' AFP

Von: 11.06.2006, http://www.gulf-times.com

<<< zurück zu: News