Land mines threat to Japanese golf tournament (Japan)
Japanese police have stepped up security at a golf club that is hosting an international tournament after an anonymous caller claimed to have placed land mines on the course.
Police and organisers of the Casio World Open men's tournament are taking the threat seriously after grenades detonated last week outside the clubhouse and near a building owned by a food wholesaler that is a corporate sponsor of the event. The blasts shattered windows and doors but no one was injured.
"We have announced today that the event will go ahead as scheduled, but we are making sure that heavy security is in place," said Chieko Hataguchi, a spokeswoman for the organisers, the Japan Golf Tour Organisation.
The event is taking place at the Kuroshio Country Club in the southern prefecture of Kochi. The field includes well-known Japanese players Ryo Ishikawa and the veteran Masashi "Jumbo" Ozaki.
More than 160 police officers will deployed for the event, backed up by a private security company, and players' hotels will also have additional security.
"We have been told by police that the two explosions were caused by grenades so we are taking this very seriously," Ms. Hataguchi added. "We have 24-hour security at the venue - but we are still not sure what whoever is doing wants."
The male caller made the threat to a local newspaper in Kochi on Tuesday, saying he had buried land mines at the venue and demanding that the tournament be cancelled.
Von: 26.11.2008, by Julian Ryall in Tokyo, www.telegraph.co.uk