Official: Uganda cease-fire is on track


Rebel leader Joseph Kony said earlier this week that the safe corridors provided under the agreement were too limited and one of the assembly points was inundated with land mines. Interior Affairs Minister Ruhakana Rugunda said Kony`s complaints had not derailed peace talks, which are set to resume Saturday in southern Sudan.


(01.09.2006)

KAMPALA, Uganda, 09/02 - A cease-fire between the government and a rebel group that has terrorized this east African nation for nearly 20 years is on track despite complaints from the rebels` leader, a government official said Friday.

The truce went into effect Tuesday. It calls for fighters from the shadowy Lord`s Resistance Army to gather at two assembly points in largely uninhabited areas across the border in southern Sudan, where they will be protected and monitored.
But rebel leader Joseph Kony said earlier this week that the safe corridors provided under the agreement were too limited and one of the assembly points was inundated with land mines.

Interior Affairs Minister Ruhakana Rugunda said Kony`s complaints had not derailed peace talks, which are set to resume Saturday in southern Sudan. Both sides agreed to lay down arms while negotiators work on a more detailed peace deal and permanent cease-fire to end one of Africa`s longest-running wars.
"We have seen significant developments bilaterally," Rugunda said.

The LRA is notorious for cutting off the tongues and lips of innocent civilians, enslaving thousands of children and driving nearly 2 million people from their homes.


Von: 2.9.06, www.angolapress-angop.ao

<<< zurück zu: News