PKK mine kills major, wounds two (Turkey)

One gendarmerie major was killed and two other security forces officers were injured in an explosion triggered by a landmine laid by the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in the southeastern Anatolian province of Bingöl, officials in the region were quoted as saying.


Gendarmerie Maj. Adil Karagöz was killed when a landmine exploded in a rural area near Bingöl's Genç district during a security operation against PKK terrorists, Anatolia news agency quoted officials at the Bingöl Governor's Office as saying. Lt. Col. Hayati Aydın and soldier Hüseyin Kılınç were injured in the same explosion.
Aydın and Kılınç were transported to a hospital in neighboring Elazığ province, where it was reported that their lives were not at risk.
Anti-PKK operations in the region are ongoing.
President Ahmet Necdet Sezer and Parliament Speaker Bülent Arınç sent messages of condolence to Chief of General Staff Gen. Hilmi Özkök.
The mine explosion came as Turkey is pressing the United States and Iraq to crack down on PKK camps in northern Iraq, which they use as a springboard to carry out attacks on military and civilian targets inside Turkey.
The government raised the option of sending troops into Iraq to strike at PKK terrorists if U.S. and Iraqi inactivity persists after the group killed 15 security officials in attacks over three days.
The United States, which designates the PKK as a terrorist group, has pledged that it would deal with the group in Iraq more aggressively and that there were steps the Iraqi authorities would take in due course.

PKK member surrenders to avoid fight with brother:
Meanwhile, a member of the PKK has surrendered voluntarily to security forces in the far eastern province of Iğdır, saying his brother was serving in the military, the Anatolia news agency reported yesterday
The PKK member, identified only by his initials H.T., has been arrested by a court and sent to prison following his surrender, Mustafa Küçük, the chief public prosecutor in Iğdır, said.
H.T.'s brother is currently a soldier and H.T. told security forces that he had surrendered because brothers do not shoot at each other, Anatolia said.
The man has been a member of the terrorist group since 1993 and his family rejoiced when he surrendered, Küçük added.

Von: Ankara - Turkish Daily News

<<< zurück zu: News