USA-Südkorea: USA unterstützen weiterhin Südkoreas Minen-Politik


Während die USA seit einger Zeit eine "No-Landmine-Policy" verfolgen, gilt laut offiziellen Aussagen auch weiterhin die inkonsequente Ausnahme für den Bündnispartner Südkorea. (auf Englisch)


Ein Grenzübergang zwischen Südkorea und Nordkorea - von Michael Day unter CC BY 2.0

(07.11.2015)

The United States will continue to make the Korean Peninsula an exception to its no anti-personnel landmine policy under its commitment to the defense of South Korea, a State Department official said Friday.

Stanley Brown, director of the State Department's Office of Weapons Removal and Abatement, made the remark during a Foreign Press Center briefing on the department's annual "To Walk the Earth in Safety" report about U.S. efforts to remove landmines and other explosive remnants of war around the world.

The official noted that the U.S. announced in September last year that it would observe the key principles of the Ottawa Convention "everywhere except for Korea." He was referring to the 1999 treaty that bans the use, stockpiling, production and transfer of anti-personnel landmines.

"We would not assist, encourage or induce any country to use anti-personnel landmines .. other than Korea, we would not use anti-personnel landmines outside of Korea and we would also look to destroy those anti-personnel landmines not needed for the defense of Korea," he said.

Weiterlesen auf: http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2015/11/07/0301000000AEN20151107000300315.html

<<< zurück zu: News